Monday, December 25, 2006

Road Trip So Far

* The plane ride over sucked. We left late and hit a lot of turbulence, so much so that I spent the entire flight trying not to vomit. I did manage to read "King Dork" by Frank Portman (the lead singer of the Mr. T Experience) and I give it a solid B+. Then we finally landed where I threw up in a plastic bag. I had no idea what to do in this situation -- do I bring the bag with me, do I leave it there, do I give it to a stewardess? I just threw it under a seat.

* I did not like Las Vegas at first. I don't like gambling (more accurately, I don't like giving my money away and not getting a tangible product or service in return) and my stomach wasn't in the mood to drink a lot of alcohol. We stayed at the Luxor, which has posters of Carrot Top up everywhere. I did gamble $10 on La Salle to cover and $10 for their game against Villanova to go over. Got creamed on the over and the spread was right on the money, thanks largely due to some dubious calls. We ended up seeing the Second City Las Vegas comedy show, which was one of the best things I've ever seen live. Overall, Vegas grew on me and I want to go back for a bachelor party.

* I pooped at the Hoover Dam.

* The drive from Vegas to the Grand Canyon area was breathtaking. It doesn't hit you until you actually drive in a place like the American southwest how big and empty our country is. Especially if you've spent probably 98% of every waking moment in your life in the megapolis between D.C. and Boston. I couldn't believe the landscapes, the barrenness, the never-ending horizon. And this was in a desert and wasn't in a national park. I couldn't imagine how the Grand Canyon was going to look like if this was just throwaway land.

* Had dinner in Flagstaff, Arizona. Flagstaff is one rather cool small city/college town located near the Grand Canyon -- Steve Malkmus is playing there shortly, there's a bunch of cool things downtown, etc.

* The Grand Canyon... there's nothing that can be said about it in our language to accurately describe it. I couldn't believe it was real when I was there. I hope I get another chance to come back at some point in my life. Spending one day at The Grand Canyon isn't nearly enough.

* I also pooped at The Grand Canyon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Having driven across the country at least a dozen times now, at least you can appreciate where my insanity comes from...considering some of those trips were alone. ;)

--Katz

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

see web stats